Relax! This may be a new experience, but you will be presenting to interested (and interesting) people about something to which you have given a lot of thought. Remember, you know your essay more than anyone in the room because you wrote it!
Here are your presentation guidelines:
- Arrive about 15 minutes before your session begins
- Introduce yourself, make sure the session chair can pronounce your name correctly
- You have 20 minutes to present; not any longer
- Make sure that you have timed your presentation so that it is not cut short
- If your time runs out way before you have reached the end of your presentation the audience may miss out on important information regarding your argument
- Try to present rather than read your paper word for word
- We highly recommend including visuals, whether it be handouts or a powerpoint*
- Make sure your presentation does not stray too far from your original paper
- You can (and are encouraged to) bring notecards or some other speaking guide
- Make sure you understand the gestures the session chair will use to signal time
- After you present, the session chair will introduce the discussant, who will ask some questions to help start conversation. This will last about 3 minutes.
- The session chair will then open the floor for discussion. This is basically a 10-15 minute Q&A session.
Each paper presentation (presentation+discussant+Q&A) lasts 45 minutes. Each session consists of two paper presentations and thus lasts an hour and a half.
If you need any sort of equipment (i.e. computer, easel, projector), please let us know in advance. Please bring any presentations on a flash drive.
As a courtesy to the other speakers, you are expected to be present for and participate in the entire session to which you have been assigned.
Above all, have fun!